It has been said that the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini may not get an official update to Jelly Bean 4.3, but owners shouldn’t be too concerned as there is an update by way of the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM. The ROM comes without all the crap that is found with the official version.
The CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM has TouchWiz, but this is the minimal version. it also comes with support for Bluetooth Low Energy, Open GL ES 3.0 and virtual surround sound according to au.ibtimes.com.
Once you have updated you can enjoy the following:
- 1GHz bug resolved
- 2D/3D hardware acceleration
- Sensors functionality
- Wireless connectivity
- All-native tethering
- Camera functions
- CPU sleep mode
- YouTube high quality
- Offline charging
- 64GB SD card support
To go ahead and make the update you will need:
1. This CM 10.2 build is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini versions I8910, I8190L and I8190N.
2. Root your phone and install a ClockworkMod custom recovery.
3. Make a manual backup of all your personal info, settings and the data files that are stored inside your Galaxy S3 Mini.
4. Make sure you have at least 50 % battery.
5. Enable USB debugging mode on your handset. Go to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.” Sometimes the USB debugging mode will be found under “Developer Options.”
6. Download and install all the necessary USB drivers for your S3 Mini. Samsung Kies PC Suite with the phone plugged into your computer installs the USB drivers.
7. Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and Google Apps to your PC.
Warning: CyanogenMod 10.2 is a custom ROM which requires manual installation that may damage your device. We’re not responsible for any damage to your Galaxy S3 Mini. Read closely, understand and follow the instructions we give to avoid damaging or bricking your Galaxy S3 Mini. You do this entirely at your own risk.
1. Connect your Galaxy S3 Mini to your PC via USB cable.
2. Copy the CM 10.2 ROM and the Google Apps package, then paste them to the SD card of your phone. Don’t extract any zip files.
3. Disconnect the phone and power it off.
4. Reboot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up, home and back keys at the same time until you see the Samsung.
5. While in recovery mode, make an Android backup of your current ROM. Select “backup and restore > backup” to save the ROM on the SD card. This means you can restore the older ROM anytime you want.
6. Do a complete wipe on the phone. Select “wipe data/factory reset” and “wipe cache partition.” Then choose “advanced > wipe Dalvik cache.”
7. After the wipe, install the CyanogenMod 10.2 by choosing “install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card”. Find the CM 10.2 you pasted earlier and confirm installation.”
8. Once the installation is done, return to the main menu in recovery mode and select “reboot system now.”
9. The phone will reboot. This may take up to five minutes before you see the home screen, so don’t worry.
If all has gone well you will now be running Jelly Bean 4.3 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.